Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 10 - Breathing Exercises

Late update: The plastic surgeon met with us tonight and they have scheduled Luke for surgery Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. to work on the broken bones in his left hand.

When we went in to visit him tonight his nurse told us that he is also scheduled for a tracheostomy on Saturday. Instead of having the breathing tube going in through his mouth and throat and then into the trachea, they will insert directly into the trachea through his neck. Our hopes that he might be off the respirator today were based on his being able to breathe adequately on his own. With the extent of his injuries and the amount of medications he is on, that just isn't going to happen for a while. Having the tracheostomy will be much easier on him in the long run. We will meet with the doctors tomorrow about it.

Although Becki was determined to stay until Luke was awake, she really needs to be with her family and she was getting down to the wire with being able to fly at this stage of her pregnancy. This afternoon she booked a flight home for Saturday. She is disappointed that she most likely won't be able to talk with Luke before she has to leave.

Luke's blood pressure, temperature and heart rate were all good tonight after being somewhat elevated for the last day or so. The medications he is receiving appear to be doing the trick. He was resting comfortably while we were in to see him.

Today the medical staff is working with Luke giving him breathing exercises. They are working towards having him breathe on his own so they can take him off the respirator. Progress is slow, but progress none the less. He went for about 45 minutes on his own this afternoon.

Kidney condition remains stable, which is good in that they are not losing ground with all they are being asked to do. Output is still good. Ultrasound taken yesterday showed bruising on his right kidney from the collision. Also the creatinine level in his blood decreased meaning the kidneys are being more effective.

The CT scan did not show any pockets in his abdomen.

Luke remains somewhat sedated. He hasn't opened his eyes today but he does follow commands and is stretching his arm and leg. He also moves his head and raises his eyebrows.

Today we had the great pleasure of meeting Luke's literal "guardian angel!" John is the motorcycle rider that was ahead of Luke that night. After he avoided getting hit by the wrong-way driver, he heard the crash behind him, immediately stopped, rushed back and found Luke lying on the highway. He stood guard over Luke keeping approaching cars from hitting him, since their attention was drawn to the wrecked car on the embankment. John, words cannot express our deepest gratitude to you for literally saving Luke's life.

Jess, what a coincidence that you should comment on my "medical knowledge." Just this morning I took one of Luke's fellow Border Patrol agents in to see Luke and went through explaining all the monitors that they have on him and what all the numbers mean. When I was finished the attending nurse asked, "Are you a doctor?" I must admit, it has been an education -- only one that I'd really rather not had to opportunity to receive.

I've said it many times here, but I will continue, because it comes straight from our hearts - Thanks so very much to all for the prayers and support for Luke. We appreciate so much your comments and encouragement.

---Bill

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill and Paula, Once again, thank you for the updates, though we miss you in Cochranton, it is almost like we can reach out and touch spirit to spirit through this technology. God is soooooo good. We will be lifting Luke and you all up in prayer tonight at the Thursday Night Prayer meeting. I pray for God to reach down and touch every part of Luke, all of his heart, all of his mind, all of his soul and all of his body (strength). I pray God strengthen the three of you as you continue to support Luke. It will be a glorious day when you can really communicate (two-way) with Luke. I hope you never tire of hearing how much we love you all. We will never tire of saying it or of praying to our most gracious Lord for you. To God be the glory!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Bill and Paula,

My name is Hilary. My son and his girlfriend Kristy are Chula Vista Police Officers. Kristy's cousin is married to John,a Border Patrol Agent. When Luke's accident was on the news, I immediately called them to see if it was John. I got the details on Luke. then I began to pray. I was in continous prayer, askeing for angels to surround Luke with protection, and asking God to heal Luke. I knew nothing else, but for several days, through praying, I felt very attached to this young man I never met. Then, two days ago Kristy told me about this website. How great to see Luke's picture, and get the updates! and to find out that you-all are also beleivers, how great that was. I am very happy to get the updates, and please know that Luke is still in my prayers, as well as the others that I have aksed to pray for him. God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates!!! My thoughts and prayers are with luke and family!!!!

Unknown said...

I love you all!!! I have been praying for you, and will continue to do so. I thank God that He is so faithful. I can't imagine how hard this has been for you, and how hard it will be for Luke, but hopefully you have all found some peace in knowing that God won't let us go through anything we can't handle, that He can bring us through anything. And...at least for me...just when I think I can't do something or take anymore, that's when it's apparent that it's His strength that is bringing me through, that I'm never alone, and I'm reminded that my God is real and really cares about me. I pray that God will give Luke that assurance as he continues his road to recovery. Tell him I said hi when you get the chance :)

Anonymous said...

It is great to hear that Luke is responding and following commands...I am very relieved to hear that. And though progress may be slow any sign of progress is a blessing. I continue to pray for all of you and emailed the link to some of his other friends so they too can keep updated. I think about Luke and all of you everyday and pray the good lord will bring you all back to PA in good spirits and safe. Once again I thank you so much for keeping us all informed and please give Luke all of our love. I will continue to pray for all of you.
Jess

Our Four Sons said...

Thank you John! Many people would have passed on by, not wanting to become involved. I thank you for choosing to stand and protect a great man!

All news is great news!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Luke and your family during this difficult time. My prayers are also with you, Becki. This is supposed to be such a happy time with awaiting the arrival of your new little one. (I graduated with Becki in 97)

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for all of you and praising God for Luke's recovery!! We know he will continue to improve!!

John and Meagan May
Redmond, OR

Anonymous said...

Bill & Paula,
Great news today...We are keeping Luke in our prayers. It is a process not an event. One day at a time.
Christopher,Libby,Matthew,Katie &Abby

Anonymous said...

Bill & Paula,
Forgot to ask on my last post. Is there anything you need help with back at home? Let me know.
Christopher,Libby,Matthew,Katie& Abby Thompson

Anonymous said...

Bill, Paula, Our prayers have been steady since we learned of Luke's accident. May we share a saying that was given to us when we were the ones in need. I do not know the author. "It is in times of crisis that courage is born. It is from this courage that hope emerges. And it is from this hope that the human spirit triumphs. Those are the moments that define who we are and what we will become. May God give you hope, progress, and answers. May he grant you strength, peace, and comfort during those times." Thank you for taking the time to keep the blog updated. We are praying that all your needs be met, to the smallest detail as only Christ can do. If we can help in anyway, please let us know!

The Foriska's,
Tim, Diane, Ashlee and AJ

Our Four Sons said...

All in God's timing. Tell Becki that Luke would rather she take care of herself and her baby than push herself too hard worrying about her. He loves her and her baby and will understand why she can't be there. She's coming home to a lot of people who love her and will help here while you are with Luke. Prayers continue without ceasing.

Don Herman said...

Bill
Good to see that Luke is progressing and that it is steady. Tough to see your kid like that but when it is over you'll all look back and see the renewal of your faith in each other.

Anonymous said...

Dear Luke and family,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you in the days ahead. Many of our firefighters and their families are lifting you up in their prayers and know you have been placed on many prayer chains throughout the country.

Thanks Bill for the excellent updates on Lukes condition. Our thoughts are with you and your entire family.

In Brotherhood,

Captain Steve Pengra
Redmond Fire and Rescue
Fire Station 4

Don and Cris said...

Bill and Paula, We are so happy that Luke is doing as well as can be expected. I told our son, Craig, who lives in Phoenix about Lukes accident and he is also praying for him. Craig rides his motorcycle with his helmet on and was so thankful that Luke had been wearing his that night. Miss you all, can't wait so see Becky back at the "club". We have missed her sweet smile. Remember that you are all in our prayers.. Don and Cris Maloney

Anonymous said...

Thank you John for taking the time to go back & help Luke in whatever way as possible. I so glad that my sister & her family finally got to meet you.
Bill & PJ - thanks so much for the updates with Lukes progress. We will continue to pray for you.

Love KK