Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 16 - Doing Better

After Luke's blood pressure took another dive during the night last night, he had a much better day today. His lungs are sounding better and his blood pressure has been good all day along with his heart rate and oxygen concentration.

The physical therapist stopped in this morning and worked him through a series of exercises. This was his second session with her and Monday he was more responsive than he was today but she still put him through the paces.

I was able to find out why Luke needs to go back for another surgery on his left leg tomorrow. When they did the last surgery, they put a plate over the fracture of the femur. They left as much bone as they could and still have the minimum three screws below the fracture. Their hope was that they would be able to preserve enough muscle tissue to cover the bone. It turns out because of the extensive tissue damage there wasn't enough. One option would be to have plastic surgery work with it but it would require several surgeries and probably would have problems down the road. The better solution is to go back in, remove the current plate and replace it with two shorter plates, one on each side of the bone with two screws on each side below the fracture. This will give them the minimum number of screws to keep the plate secure. They can then take a little more of the bone off and use his muscle tissue to cover the end. I don't know the time he will be going to surgery as it will depend on how many emergencies come in during the night.

We found out today that Luke was approved to receive leave time that can be donated from any Department of Homeland Security employee. Already from the Imperial Beach station there has been two months donated. Their goal is to have two years donated to Luke. What a tremendous blessing!! We thank all who have, and who will give their hard earned leave, so Luke will have one less thing to worry about.

---Bill

9 comments:

The Youngs said...

Thank God Luke is doing better. It has been a blessing in our lives to be able to pray for Luke as he has become part of our regular prayer life in our family morning and night. I'm excited to hear of all the donations that Luke is receiving for time off. WOW what a blessing!!! to work for such a great org. Keep your heads up as we will keep on praying.

Anonymous said...

To read these updates each day, followed by the comments, stirs up such emotion inside of me. FIrst tears of hurt and sadness, then tears of joy and even tears for the indescribable feelings. I am in awe to see God's marvelous works in this circumstance. What a Mighty God we serve!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved to hear that Luke is having a better day. It is wonderful to hear about all the selfless donations to him to help through this hard time, I will continue to pray for all of you and hope Luke has many more good days like today! Once again thank you for keeping us all updated on Lukes progress and please give him all our love. Do you know if military can donate any leave time??

Anonymous said...

I read this blog daily to get an update on Luke. My brother is an agent at the IB Station and my husband is the APAIC at the San Clemente station. The Border Patrol is so much like a family and I have faith that through leave donation, Luke will end up with many, many hours of leave time. These agents really know how to give. Luke is in our family's prayers.

Anonymous said...

God is definitely with Luke everyday! It is amazing to watch his recovery and know that there is something/someone bigger out there that is watching over Luke and his family. I check on Luke's condition everyday and everyday I shed a tear in both happiness for his improvements and in sadness because although I did not know Luke extremely well, I do know him as one of the few genuinely kind and good hearted people out there. Another thing I would like to mention and show my amazement about is the support of the people in San Diego and The Department of Homeland Security, especially the Border Patrol-God Bless all of you and may God watch over you and your families as well as the Dithrich's! I have fatih that Luke will pull through all of this and have the same spirit for life as he did before this tragedy!

Anonymous said...

I have over 100hrs of S.L. heading Lukes way. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula and family

I will make sure that Dale, Curtis and I add Luke and your family to our prayers when we pray together at night. Having had the experience of the roller coaster ride you are having - with our daughter - may you stay strong and support each other.

Paula - I met with Stacy and Cheri today and their love for you and your family was so apparent. They touched my heart --- my compassion to your family! Cris Furey

Deborah said...

I would like to donate air mileage to your family if needed. Please email me @
dmongiovi@halozyme.com

Anonymous said...

Bill, Paula & Family Our prayers and thoughts are with you. I have been reading your updates on Luke.
Glad he is doing some better.
Take Care. In Gods Love The Gevins