Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day 17 - Leg Surgery

Sorry this post is so late but I wanted to talk to the surgeon before posting about the surgery. Luke did have surgery on his leg this morning but it didn't go as planned and as I posted yesterday. The damage to his upper leg was more extensive than originally thought and when they opened it up they found two areas of concern. First the muscle tissue on the inside of the leg had more dead tissue so they removed that and cleaned up that area. Second, they found the section of the femur from the fracture down also was dead and they had to remove it as well. The end of the bone at the fracture was viable so there shouldn't be any more problems there. After cleaning the leg up they put a vacuum bandage on it, but didn't close.

They will do another surgery, probably Sunday, to move the bone to the center of the muscle tissue and bring the muscle tissue together at the end. Somewhere down the road there will be another surgery to shape the end of the bone to make it receptive for a prosthesis.

So, today was another unexpected turn in the road for us, but we are assured that God is in control and His timing is the only timing that counts.

They removed the staples from the incision from his spleen removal and that looks good.

After the surgery they put in a pick line. This is a long term IV line that goes in the arm above the elbow and runs up and into the upper chest. That process went fine and later on in the day they removed the other IV line in his neck.

When we went in to see Luke around noon all his vitals were really good, but his temperature did rise through the afternoon.

They continue to work on him with the respirator. His lungs seem to be getting a little better each day. The last culture on his blood didn't show any infection, but he did get a positive on his sputum culture. His Kidneys continue to improve as well.

---Bill

5 comments:

The Youngs said...

Good morning,Bill and Paula. As Joyce and I read this after our prayer time this morning, I'm encouraged by your trust and faith in God. A lesson for all of us.
Blessings to all of you

Anonymous said...

Bill and Paula, thanks for the update and education, I had to look up sputum because I didn't know what you were talking about. Google showed me that it has to do with his lungs. So it sounds like Luke is progressing slowly but surely. Though I am saddened to hear about his leg, I am glad the doctors were able to see it and clean it up. I will continue to pray for God's healing over Luke's heart, mind, soul and body as well as wisdom for the medical staff that are caring for Luke. Yes, God's timing is the only one that matters. And He is working this all out to go from tragedy to triumph because that is just the God He is. On another note, you both are missed at volleyball though I imagine your ankle may finally heal :-) When you do get back, we may have to go easy on you as you may be out of shape.

jim p said...

Bill,
I've been following along, and i've been keeping Luke,you and your family in my prayers.Baby steps FORWARD is good.
Jim P

Anonymous said...

Bill & Paula,
I continue to check the updates each day and then I am able to know how to pray. As others have mentioned, I am truly encouraged to see your faith & trust put to work. You are an amazing example of God's grace and strength. We will continue to keep all of you in our prayers and look forward to more good news concerning Luke.
Jill & Don

Laurie said...

Hello, Bill & Paula! Its Laurie! Hope You are both holding up well! I have been following the updates on Luke & Jill fills me in on things, too. My Thoughts and Prayers are with You and your family during this trying time.

If There is anything I Can Do, Please Let Me Know, ok? I will help in Any Way I Can! : )

I will Leave You with this:

"A Touch of Grace gives us strength,
to forge ahead in our lives....
giving us unspeakable joy....
to have when we need it most."
(Part of a poem I wrote!)
B I G H U G S 2 You Both! Laurie :)